Your custom leather products and services home
Custom Leather - Gun Holsters (for any size gun & shooter)
Custom Leather - Dog / Pet Collars (for any size dog / pet)
Custom Leather - Dog / Pet Leashes (for any size dog / pet)
Custom Leather - Belts (all sizes, for everyone)
Custom Leather - Motorcycle Designs (for any size of bike)
Step Up To Quality . . .
Step Up To Oak Brand Leather
Saddlery, & Tack
"Our talents are our gifts from God...
How we use them are our gifts to Him."
ATTENTION - recent change to our business
Please be advised Oak Brand Leather is in the process of restructuring so we may better serve you.
All restructuring involves closing some doors and opening others. When we re-immerge soon, we will be better than ever.
We have closed our local store in Las Vegas, but we still have an OBL presence there.
See below for all of our OBL locations, phone #’s, services and other info.
Drop off repairs:
Las Vegas, NV
6917 Tulsa Circle
General saddle and tack (new and repairs)
John Michael Orosz
401 S. Burns
Custom Saddle Making & Repair, Western & English, Custom Designing in All Leather Products, Manufacturing & Teaching
Index for OBL
Leather tips, misc. info & our special trade secrets
i. Oakbrand Leather’s History
ii. WWW Copyright by Oakbrandleather.com
1. Home Page
2. About us
3. Kits - Saddle Soaping and Conditioning 1, 2, 3, 4
4. Photo Gallery
5. Clients from Past and Present
6. Top Grain Leather Breathes
7. Leather Care - How to Clean Your Leather Saddle, Grain Cow hide, More Leather Knowledge, Tips Since 1969
8. English Saddle Repair
9. Western Saddle Repair
10. Other Saddles
11. Restoration History
12. Restoration Pricing, New and Repair prices <- Buy and pay here
13. Custom Designing
14. Custom Saddle Making and Ordering
15. Saddle Soaping Tack, Silver Cleaning, Pricing
16. Manufacturing to Custom Equals Quality
18. Leather Coloring
19. Leather Knowledge
20. Saddle Fitting Tips
21. Saddle Types
22. Saddle Trees & Types, Covered, Glass, Plastic, or Rawhide
23. Furniture and my Leather Conditioner
24. Auto, Boat, Airplane, Motorcycles & Leather
25. Saddle Tree and Saddle Parts Reference Index
26. Broken Saddle Tree and Other Hidden Problems (How To)
27. Western Tooling Wood Grain Inversion Package
28. Western Truck Package
29. Antiquities Consulting, Antiquities: More Help
30. Custom Silver Designs
32. Leather Desk Tops or Inserts
34. Saddle Making and Repair Courses
35. Western Leather Clothing, Leather Clothing Design
36. Early American Fur Trade Era/ Renaissance Era
37. Native American Indian Leather Tanning Technique
39. Law Enforcement
40. ILL Fitting Saddles can be refitted to fit
41. Holsters, Scabbards, Western Knife, Rifle and Guns
42. Industrial Training Saddle Making Plus Manufacturing
43. Hardware in Stock, Standard and Custom
44. OBL 3 - Kit $139.95, Obtaining a Neutral Patina when Conditioning
45. The Cow Hide So Many Uses
46. Tanning Leathers and Some Techniques
47. Western Heritage and Your Local Saddle Maker
48. Brief cases/ Attaches, Our Western Business Line
49. Trophy Saddles
50. Silver Saddles - Custom Silver Designs
51. OBL 2 - Kit $89.95, Professional Restoration Oil, Neutralizer, Conditioner
52. OBL 1 - Kit $59.95, Standard Oil Soap, Conditioner Video instructions
53. My Leather Conditioner Oils, Pints /Gallons & Saddle Soaps
54. Oakbrand’s Students, Clients, Students &Partners, B2B Partners
56. Cowboy Coop
57. How To Join Mail List - a. Subscribe - b. Remove
58. Shop Talk
59. The Consignment Knowledge Base, Listing Fee plus Percent, Consignment Agreement
60. Consignment at our Home Store and Shop requirements
61. Museums and Appraisals
62. Stage Props and Custom Design for Movie Productions
63. Carol Mathieus In Loving Memory
64. How to Measure a Western Saddle Seat
65. How do you know your Fender Size? - sizing a fender.
66. Girth proper position or front Cinch
67. Spots and Hard Leather “How To”
68. Our Future and You
69. Consignment Knowledge Base Contract
70. Why Oak Brand Leather has a fee and Percentage rather than sell your name, your privacy.
We protect and help you prepare your item for sale
71. Tooling Patterns
72. Custom Forms, Custom Specs
We at Oak Brand Leather have extensive hands on history in what we do. this is true. But always remember we acknowledge your history and heritage, as well as ours. Maybe we don’t sound like what you normally would expect in a business with our leather plus background, “Why”. Our Customers like you created us by your needs and expectations. Without our knowledge base, we would have been at a standstill.But instead, we serve you today as we will tomorrow. You will always be a part of our heritage and family. We at Oak Brand Leather give God ALL the Glory through Christ Jesus, His Son.
_______ Ed ‘Oak’ Mathieus
As you can see we can design, repair and/or re-build basically anything leather.
Oak Brand Leather was created by Ed 'Oak' Mathieus, a master saddle maker, repairman and designer in all areas of leather designing and craftsmanship. Ed introduces himself to you through this website which offers you his leather conditioner, as well as areas of his expertise in relation to using this product.
We feature our very own Oak Brand Leather conditioner.
The Oak Brand Leather Company has the background to help you in caring for leather, as well as offer our expertise in all areas of leather custom building and industry manufacturing. As in most areas now days, the old right way of caring for leather or the 'True Quality finish of long ago Lost Technique' has been set aside for incorrect, quick application finishing products that create multiple leather deterioration. I am blessed in my expertise and love building and designing saddles and custom leather. Trust me, nothing speaks more than the men and women who love and work as craftsmen with leather, so use a product that will do what it says it will do. Oak Brand Leather Conditioner was developed and used by Ed 'Oak" Mathieus, a master saddle maker, saddle repairman and designer for 43 years. Ed 'Oak' Mathieus
At Oak Brand Leather we feature:
- Award-winning professional leather services
- Sterling reputation in leather industry
- Business to business (B2B) professional collaboration
- Leather consulting/training via our online learning center
- Expert design/build consulting services
- Quality leather components and craftsmenship
- Competitive pricing structures
- 110% customer satisfaction guarantee
Custom-built Indian trunks.
This custom-built Indian trunk has a reinforced oak frame, hard rubber and leather inner liner.
Our trunk is grain leather, includes Indian conchos, and also features 1-1/2" nylon strapping with chrome clip snaps.
Orders are all custom - We have a list on these, so order today!
Please include your phone number below in case we need to contact you.
The future of Oak Brand Leather not only allows me to work and grow, it does much more than that. It has allowed me to accomplish my main goal. I wish to serve our customers with our OBL products because our products are second to none in custom & quality. Our OBL quality stands out and looks like another fine piece of American Heritage. Some say our quality, custom leather products are real "head-turners". And do you want to know the best part? When these items age, they only look better!
My dream is to some day again further my accomplishments. I wish to bring this same OBL custom quality to another industry using my hands-on training, teaching, and design in all aspects of the products. Then we will offer our custom and quality products at the medium price and even surpassing custom standards. This can all be done with knowledge, skilled workers, quality teaching, and the right materials. "What is our motivation?" you may ask. For what purpose, indeed - “YOU” our customer.
Hi folks, Ed "Oak Brand" here -
I bought leather fron this tannery back in the 70's and 8o's. This company made one of the best leathers I used. I am sorry to hear about their closing, they will be sorely missed. We believe in their history/heritage and world-class leather tanning traditions. We here ar Oak Brand Leather will try to emulate their best practices to the best of our ability.
I will post more here later which will detail our similar quality leather treatments and methods.
Historic Oregon tannery Muir & McDonald Co. shuts down
original post below on Sunday, July 01, 2007 when it was announced in a local Oregon newspaper.
DALLAS — Lisa Koloen hoped to see her daughter keep alive the family’s tannery but instead came to a hard realization. “Being a historic place doesn’t pay the bills,” says Koloen.
Muir & McDonald Co., the oldest of three remaining tanneries in the United States employing a traditional vegetable tanning method, will close its doors this summer after 144 years in the business. The tannery supplies leather to saddle makers in Louisiana and Texas and until now has defended its title as the oldest continuously running business in Polk County.
The vegetable method the tannery uses requires a four-month process that allows the tanner to start and end with one piece of hide, compared to other processes that can finish in hours. But the tannery kept with tradition, even until the very end.
The decision to close was a difficult five-year process, says Koloen, company president and the fourth generation of tanners at Muir. “The confusing and crazy part,” Koloen says, was that “the tannery had a lot of orders.” Despite demand, the rising cost of production for a small tannery operating in a world market combined with an unwieldy utility bill for the company’s 40,000-square-foot building forced the tannery to close down. “I love this business,” Koloen says. “This has been our life.”
Koloen worked at the tannery as a child, sweeping floors and painting fences. She remembers growing up and seeing the town’s businesses spring up around the tannery.
Koloen won’t be out of the leather industry for long. When she and her husband finish their current orders in the next few months, she’ll start with another vegetable-method tannery based in Pennsylvania, which has stayed afloat by employing more upgraded and progressive techniques.
— Eunice Lee